Wednesday, June 25, 2008

SO MUCH FOR COMPLIANCE!



Isn't Lake Winnipesaukee beautiful this time of year!


Above is a picture of my 15 year old son "tubing" this past weekend at the Lake. He stayed at a friend's summer home whose mother was nice enough to send me the picture.


If it weren't for the fact that he has a broken hand, was told to keep a splint on, and was cautioned NO SPORTS until he goes back to see the orthopedist next week, I might have been happy to see the picture. (I guess tubing and water skiing just don't come under the heading of SPORTS -- at least not to my son).


I am not only unhappy with him for not doing what he was told, but I realize that I should have called his friend's mom and explained to her about the injury. I trusted a teenager who, not uncommonly, considers himself "indestructible" to sit back on the sidelines and follow his doctor's orders. BIG MISTAKE!


The larger issue here is one of compliance. If patients and families are going to partner with their healthcare providers, then we need to adhere strictly to recommendations, medication regimens, and treatment plans. There can be defensible reasons for non-compliance (an error in communication; language difficulties; or, a literacy issue), but in my son's case "inconvenience and slight discomfort" just don't cut it. And, since he is a minor, it is my responsibility as a parent to make sure that my child's treatment plan is followed. As patients and family members, it is important to hold up our end of the bargain.
Winnie Tobin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Bookmark and Share